The Masters of Arts in Teaching in Exceptional Child (MAT) offers cohesive online
graduate level coursework and supervised field experiences in special education content
and pedagogy with two options for certification:
- Early Childhood Special Education (birth-third grade)
- Mild/Moderate Cross-Categorical (K-12th grade).
Graduates of the program receive a degree that aligns them with mandates and brings
them in at a higher pay scale.
- Designed for someone that does not have an undergraduate degree in education or a
- Allows students to earn both a Master's Degree and a teaching certification in special
- Coursework is offered online with faculty support provided through advising, mentorship,
and internship guidance.
- High quality, experienced, full time faculty tech classes.
- 2.75 Cumulative Undergraduate GPA
- Pre-Requisite Courses: PY 120 The Child or PY 521 Advanced Child Development (or equivalent
course) EX 390 Psychology of the Exceptional Child or EX 635 Psychology of the Exceptional
Child (or equivalent course)
- Completion of Missouri Educator Profile (MEP) Passing score on admission exam: Mild/Moderate
Cross Categorical emphasis area: Passing Score: 007 – 010 Elementary Education MO
- OR Early Childhood Special Education emphasis area: Passing Score: 064 Early Childhood
Education MO Content Assessment